January 22, 2013

A New Frontier

Always looking for a new challenge and I think I found it.....flight/landing  pictures.

Let's start by saying that it is a long learning curve and something that has given me a greater appreciation for all the great pictures of others.

To start, I spent 3-4 hours just setting looking out my garage window watching various birds land at the feeders.  Blue Jays are fairly slow in the grand scheme of things (but they are still pretty fast) whereas the Nuthatch and Chickadee's are super speedy.  I also figured out quite quickly, that you need good, strong sunlight for good pictures.  This is due to the speed you have to shoot at (1/1500 to 1/2000 of a second).  With speeds that high the f stop goes way down and the ISO (film speed) goes way up which gives you grainy pictures.

I got myself a wireless remote for my Sony DSLR camera which consisted of two parts...a receiver that plugs into the camera and a small transmitter to trigger it with.  It can also be tripped from the receiver part.  I found out that the receiver part was not getting the signal but did work just plugged in.  A new replacement set is in the mail but decided I would try taking some pictures anyway.

It was a typical light gray overcast day (which I discovered was not enough light) but I needed to get some practice anyway trying to anticipate when the birds would move and try to land.  I also found (duh) that there is a time delay from when your brain says push the button till it actually happens.

It was a heavy feeding day for the sparrows, so that was a good place to start my practice.





I shot one last picture of the day and decided to show you what low light and high ISO does.  A Red-bellied Woodpecker came to the feeder for a bite to eat.  Had to try for a picture even though I knew it wouldn't turn out.  Sure is grainy.


3 comments:

Tabor said...

You are ahead of the curve on this...looking forward to more!

Janice K said...

I'd say you're getting the hang of it. I have tried so often, but I know a big part of my problem is the delay of the camera as well as having enough light to have sufficient shutter speed.

I first became attracted to photographing birds by the pictures of another blogger who shot such wonderful pictures of bluebirds in flight. Of course I mostly had the chickadees, titmouse and nuthatches to practice on. I know a DSL camera would probably improve my odds, but I think I will stick with my trusty Sony H9 point and shoot. It has all the other adjustments on, and part of my goal back then was to learn to manually take pictures without the camera automatically doing all the work.

I'm not sure why I shared all that?? Hope you have a great day.

sushmitha said...

Wow.. Awesome pictures.. Thanks for sharing :)

http://sushlaventulip06.blogspot.in/