November 21, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker

The Pileated Woodpeckers are still around but mostly see this male at the suet feeder.  Once it gets a little colder, I should see more of them.

Someone once commented on how close I was to the birds to get the close-ups.  Actually, I'm not that close.  It's all done with the 500mm lens and a little cropping.  The good lens makes all the difference.  The first picture was shot at 50mm or about what the normal eye sees.  You can see about how far away I am from the birds.  The rest are at the 500mm range with a little side cropping.  They all turned out pretty good, so here's a lot of pictures.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Envious of your lens! These woodpeckers never come to our feeders. I think very early spring I might see them at the edge of the woods.

Janice K said...

I think your feathered friends are happy to have you back.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Amazing pictures. I wish I could get my lens on one of those birds.