November 13, 2012

Getting back into a rhythm

I can't seem to get back into a rhythm after a busy summer....to much not too do.  When I get this way, I tend to read a lot..I fact 7 books in the last two weeks.  But I have also managed to take quite a few pictures and re-learn how to use the camera after being away from it for about 5 months.

One thing that I have been watching for is the migrant birds.  They are the first you see in the spring and the last to move south in the fall.  Combine that with the early winter migrants and you get to see some interesting birds.

One day last week on one of my trips out to the garage, I noticed that that I had an unusually large crowd around the feeders.  I just glanced at them and since I saw a lot of Goldfinches my first thought was it was a good summer for them.  Then I took a closer look and discovered that over half of them were Pine Siskens.  I managed to get a couple of pictures and was glad I did, since the next day they were gone and I haven't seen anymore yet this year.




Later that same day, I saw a couple of White-throated Sparrows.  Again some of the late migrants.  They are very pretty little birds.



No comments: