November 15, 2012

Evening Grosbeak - Lifer

It's been a long time since I have seen a new bird but the beauty of this one has to be way up at the top.

Took the trash out to the garage and just happened to glance out the door to the feeders and there he sat eating sunflower seeds.  I ran back in the house to grab the camera (it now has taken up residence back in the garage) and managed 4 or 5 pictures through the door.  I was late in the day and the typical gray overcast that dominates November up here, so didn't know if the pictures would turn out.  He flew off and my hopes for better pictures faded.

Then I walked over to the window that looks out on the heated bird bath and there he sat just about 10 feet from me.  I quick like rattled off about 20 pictures and he departed again.  Never saw it again but keeping my eyes open for another one and hoping for a female with it.

So here are a bunch of pictures of the Evening Grosbeak, Lifer #137 and Yard Bird #123.








11 comments:

pamit said...

Great pictures Richard! I actually saw my first evening Grosbeak last week also. I'm south of you (Golden CO) but perhaps it's the same migration wave.

Pam in CO

Janice K said...

He is gorgeous! How exciting.

Helen said...

I have never seen this one before. Great shots.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

He is stunning! Congratulates!

Deb said...

Beautiful! I rarely get a chance to see one. Hope there are more around there!

edifice rex said...

Beautiful bird and great shots!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am seriously jealous now. LOL This is a gorgeous bird and the photos are great.

Kim said...

Congratulations Richard and such gorgeous photos! I'm still holding out hope of getting them to my feeder this year.

Tabor said...

Hurrah. A lifer and a beauty. YOu must be so happy.

cindyzlogic said...

How exciting and what a beauty of a bird!! A GREAT series of shots, Richard!

Peruby said...

Get yourself a publisher and get these beautiful pictures into a book! Seriously!